Sunday, March 9, 2014

Yet another carrot cake recipe

The way I have been baking carrot cakes, it really looks like I have become obsessed with them. Here is a variation I tried in a bid to make it more healthy. I used this carrot cake recipe I posted earlier and made some changes to it. I added grated zest of orange and a 1/4 cup of orange juice. Instead of the 3/4 cup of oil, I used only 1/2 cup oil and use 1/4 cup apple sauce. I also added the raisins. I did not have ready apple sauce with me so I made my own taking some tips from the Net.
Carrot cake with less oil and apple sauce
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour/maida
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins, cut in halves
2 tbspns grated ginger
Grated zest of 2 oranges (about 2 tbspns) 
1/4 cup orange juice
Healthy carrot cake with less oil
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
  • Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan.
  • Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, apple sauce and eggs.
  • Beat in flour mixture.
  • Stir in shredded carrots, grated ginger, grated orange zest, orange juice, raisins and chopped nuts.
  • Pour into prepared pan.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  •  Allow to cool.
  • Slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We strive to bring you the best of Goan recipes handed down from our mothers and grandmothers whether it is Goan sweets recipes, Goan dessert recipes, the famous Goan xacuti recipe, the vindaloo recipe, the sorpotel recipe and so much more... Enjoy making the best of Goan dishes to tickle your palate and there are so many other favourite recipes you can use as well. So happy cooking and... bon appetit!!